Sunday, January 26, 2014

Cherub

Cherub
11"x14"
Pastel on Stonehenge

When I saw this little boy, he was was shyly standing with his grandmother and he was just beautiful.  He posed so sweetly, at least I thought that until I started drawing this pose, making the cheek/neck differentiation was the big challenge here.  At the end of December this was the first piece that I was working on after organizing all my pastels by value, so I was working hot and heavy on this portrait
This was an experiment for me, as 1) initially he was quite pale, he has that very light porcelain complexion, but I felt he was colorless.  So I got bolder and added more color, especially on the shadow side (appears more in real life) and he suddenly felt like he could talk to me. 



1 comment:

  1. I haven't visited your blog for several days and I can see you've done some beautiful paintings. You've captured this little one's innocence. It's really a beautiful portrait.

    ReplyDelete